These notes are mostly for myself. Feel free to be inspired.
- Macbook Pro.
- Latest macOS or Ubuntu.
- Change hostname to something sensible.
- Homebrew. As nice as macOS is, it’s incomplete without a good brew.
- AppCleaner has a great Smart Delete feature which ensures no files are left behind when you delete an app.
- SyncThing is absolute gold if you want to synchronize anything beyond GitHub.
- AlDente for better battery management.
brew install moshor
sudo apt install mosh
brew install mtror
sudo apt install mtr
- Oh my Zsh
- Auto Suggestions
brew install starshipor
sudo curl -sS https://starship.rs/install.sh | sh
echo 'eval "$(starship init zsh)"' >> ~/.zshrc
- Solarized Dark (patched)
- Text: SauceCodePro NF 15
- Title: disable dimensions, enable command key
- 120 cols, 40 rows
- Laravel Valet
- Source Code Pro, 15, 1.2, Ligatures
- Laravel-Idea plug-in
- RapidAPI (trying)
E-mail & Messaging
- Apple Mail
I don’t want to
sudo mtr every time I use mtr. This is easily resolved:
brew install mtr sudo chown root:wheel /opt/homebrew/Cellar/mtr/0.95/sbin/mtr-packet sudo chmod u+s /opt/homebrew/Cellar/mtr/0.95/sbin/mtr-packet
Fix mosh by adding
export LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8" to .zshrc
Current versions of macOS lack the font smoothing setting that older versions provided. Apple has decided that medium-level font smoothing is perfect for everyone.
I disagree and prefer light font smoothing:
defaults -currentHost write -g AppleFontSmoothing -int 1
Then log out and log back in.
(Change to 0 for no smoothing, 2 for medium and 3 for strong).